Monday, February 22, 2010

Remembering Satyajit Ray

Out of the blue I recall Satyajit Ray speaking about an Individual. He held that an individual cannot be treated as an isolated entity. When we talk about an individual we attach with him a certain class, his problems, his ideas and his struggles. You cannot isolate an individual. I don’t know if this was one of Ray’s original ideas or quoted. But I do surely see eye to eye with him. Hearing him, I remember one couldn’t help but sense that the man creates a profound impression upon his immediate surroundings, if not at a distance.

Another thing I observed about Ray: I have never noticed him smile. There is no vestige of cruelty on his face. It is calm and sober and his head is fixed on his shoulder. His expressions are eloquent and I have never found any words wasted. It seems as if he clutches on to each word, assesses it, and if found appropriate, lets it out. The more you think about the man, the more you begin to think about him. Destiny took another route otherwise I would have loved to meet him and know his World Wide Views.

No comments:

Post a Comment