Thursday, May 27, 2010

Social causes, business & charity

I don’t by and large go out for a walk. Some time ago I did and discovered that all species of guys dig up my nerve. A small boy came up and asked me to buy some flowers. I shooed him away. He pestered and uttered that the profits would go towards stopping child abuse. Did you notice what he did? He linked his profit making endeavour, with a social cause. Do you think a small boy can solve that problem? Maybe he is saving money to have pizza!

Every now and then I get mugged by social consciousness salesmen or schemes. I enter a mall and I am mugged by schemes which say that I can actually save the world by buying this packet of coffee and that packet of sugar. If I buy this packet of tea instead of that coffee I would save the farmers in Vidharba. Some few rupees from a soft drink purchase would be donated to cure TB. My whiskey glass is so socially aware that it actually saves trees, stabilizing global warming. If sending 5 or 10 emails I would help charity institutions that are making the world a better place to breath.

My reaction is simple. Are we looking at a socially conscious business houses or are they not able to sell their products straightforward and directly so as to take shelter in ‘save the world’ schemes?

Another reflection of mine is that, let’s cut the bullshit and the charade and let us get back to plain old buying and selling.

If drinking off from whiskey glasses saves trees, an even better way to save trees is not to swallow whiskey at all. It is also not very comprehensible whether lowering the requirement for paper used for packing whiskey would essentially save trees, in view of the fact that a lower demand would sooner or later signify less motivation to plant and refurbish the supply. And do we in actuality have to save trees anyway? Is anyone even on familiar terms with the optimal number of trees that are supposed to be alive on this earth at any given point of time?


The “drink this particular brand of whiskey and save trees” really is a bugging one. Whiskey breaks ice and you start to converse, get into a philosophic mood, brings all the joys and laughter and twinkling in the eyes, stimulates you, enhances joy and happiness and lets you forget the tragedies, the miseries, the heartaches, the sorrows and the pains in life. It pours millions as taxes in the Government coffers which are used to provide care to our children, to our blind, deaf and dumb, looks after our aged, builds infrastructure. Good whiskey is good whiskey. So why should I favour a particular brand which has taken up a cause to enlighten me and my social consciousness? I find it bizarre and scheming that some dumb marketing guy has dreamed of this selling campaign. Why should some phony tale be fabricated that some proceeds will be donated to achieve some grand social vision?

If I fancy and want to bestow some to charity, I am absolutely competent of doing this on my own and according to my own values. I do not need any industrial houses to get involved and facilitate me by showing me the alleyway to true enlightenment. When someone comes along and tries to dictate to me what my values should be, I have a propensity to push back. I just want product and services. I will take care of the rest at my own leisure. What is so knotty about it?

╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩

No comments:

Post a Comment