Saturday, June 19, 2010

We live in two worlds

It’s a reality that we live in two worlds. One world enforced by our Govt. and the other world that we assume in our actual life.

A friend of mine one day came to my house early in the morning. I was having coffee. I offered him a cup.

He said, “thank you”

I asked a supplementary question, “Should I pour some whiskey in that coffee?

He looked shocked. He was under the belief that drinking hard liquor in the morning was inappropriate and unbecoming. It was not a social norm. It was a habit one should conceal. It was a custom of the lower class. It was dangerous. It was immoral.

But are any of these hypotheses correct? There is already a prohibition in Gujurat. Most cities and states have already been imposed by our Govt. the timings one can have alcohol in the bar. The Govt. still think we are in schools and we do not know what is good or bad for us. Meanwhile the consumption of alcohol is on the rise. It is very clear that we live in two worlds.

I am sure my friend was shocked by my offer to add whiskey in his morning cup of coffee. What may not have gone to his head was my presumption that I was among the rebels against such frivolous prevailing culture – that I have in mind to reject the Govt.’s decree and create my own custom. This would be a fantastic model to live a full life. He could not see beyond a point that just because the Govt. authorized or de-regularizes certain things and prohibits others does not mean that I must follow or even endure the official roadmap of my life.

I consider myself a bit cultivated, educated and scholarly, hence it becomes a bit of an aristocrat custom to reveal some lost history with a sense of option and freedom. I am trying to create a world that does not exist and adopting a new way of life. I am trying to live a life outside the dictate laid down by our cultural police. No wonder some of us really believe in Art which is imagining the existence of some form of possibility in our mind and then endevouring to make it a reality. Literature, movies, culture, music and the arts are cultivated and give us the education and insight to create our own world.

The fact maybe that drinking liquor in the morning could be unthinkable since this could contribute to a less productive life. But one need not be sober during weekends or if you are celebrating some occasion. What could be wrong here if I offer my friend coffee touched with some whiskey in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment